Wednesday, February 01, 2006

110 St. Marks

this is my old doorway. this is the ledge that i sat on. smoked cigarettes and talked on my cell phone. drank fresh margaritas from plastic cups. sipped warm beers when the power went out. welcomed people in. ushered people out. where i was attacked. where i sat for hours with friends and watched the world go by. where strangers stopped to ask for a light, ask for directions, or claim some connection. where friends walked by unexpectedly. where i waded through 4 feet of snow in the name of brunch. this is the doorway to the apartment i lived in twice as long as i've lived here. this is the doorway i walked out of to go dancing, sparkling. this is the the doorway i returned to as the sun was coming up. this doorway changed colors on a monthly basis. this is the doorway i hauled heavy bags through, after trips to far-away places. where thoughtful vivian stopped to take a picture, on her last trip back. where my mail arrived. where out-of-town friends arrived. where i arrived home, so many times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so there's no confusion... I nod everytime I walk by.

vyc said...

i made a point to walk past the doorway on my last visit. hail, 110 st. marks. you were my destination and my portal to many a great time. the vision of amanda awaiting at her apartment door at the top of my stairs remains forever ingrained in my head.

Anonymous said...

this lovely posting is for me a hopeful nugget that maybe, possibly, you want to come back to nyc. vicks too.